2. Making Symbol Choices
Updated by Global Symbols with UNICEF ECARO
- The initial steps needed to support families, carers and those who have complex communication needs can be difficult to achieve without the assistance of the stakeholders mentioned in Step 1.
- However, one practical step on the augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) journey is to choose symbols to support communication and language building.
- The symbol set chosen should provide the basis for communication that is appropriate to community language and culture and benefits from a considerable amount of participation from stakeholders.
- 2a. Creating an AAC Forum
- 2b. Choosing a Symbol Set
- 2c. Language and Vocabularies
- 2d. Defining a Core Vocabulary
- 2e. Selection of New Symbols for Design
- 2f. Development of Symbols by Local Graphic Designer
- 2g. Voting on Newly Designed Symbols
- 2h. Publishing the new Symbol Set with Language Translations
- 2i. Integration of the New Symbol Set with AAC Applications (Cboard)
- 2j. Summary