4e. Practicalities of Symbol Design
Updated by Global Symbols with UNICEF ECARO
Full List of AAC Symbol Design Guidelines Sample rules to apply include:-
- Symbol size tend to be 500 x 500 pixels (use points for measuring unit options) with contrasting colours.
- Outlines of faces, bodies, and objects are 2 to 7 points (depending on the size of the character in the image)
- Keep vector files consistent. The best format for adaptations is .svg with transparent backgrounds, but offer an alternative such as a .png so that jpgs and pdfs can be made for printouts of any size.
Think about the audience – visual acuity and dexterity skills as well as perception (understanding) plus age, location, culture, religion and social settings.
- Real object associated with an activity – then a representation
- Photographs and pictures (normally from around 1 year onwards)
- Symbol representations (normally from around 3 years onwards)